This course teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a handgun for protection of self and family, and to provide information on the law-abiding individual’s right to self-defense.
This course is for law-abiding adult citizens, as defined by applicable federal, state, or local law, and experienced shooters (shooters able to show mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the firearm). Prospective participants can demonstrate that they have the requisite knowledge, skills, and attitudes by producing an NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate, NRA FIRST Steps Course Certificate, NRA pistol competitive shooting qualification card, military DD 214 with pistol qualification, or passing the Pre-Course Assessment.
Students will learn basic defensive shooting skills, strategies for home safety and responding to a violent confrontation, firearms and the law, how to choose a handgun for self-defense, and continued opportunities for skill development.
Upon completion, students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection In The Home handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, and a course completion certificate.
Length: 8 Hours
- Positive learning attitude
- Notebook and pen
- Handgun chambered in 9mm, .45cal, 40S&W, 10mm (recommend striker fire-type handgun, i.e. Glock)
- Protective eye wear (Ballistic)
- Ear Protection
- “Duty Belt” (i.e. 1.5” nylon belt that holds holster, magazine pouches, etc.)
- 100 rounds of ammunition (Can be purchased from Instructor)
- 3 Magazines
- IWB (Inside Waistband) holster
- Pistol rentals available for $15.00
If the minimum student count is not met for this class, you may be asked to reschedule